Tuesday, August 18, 2015

That Little Voice - The Critic

I have seen many, many cruel people throughout my life. I have seen people hurt by the things they say. I have seen them hurt because they are not accepted by these people, but I never heard anyone talk to another person the way that I talk to myself. Now before you start thinking I'm crazy, I will clear the air...I totally am!

Let's be honest though, we are most definitely our own worst critics. Speaking from experience, I still pick apart every flaw I have on a daily basis. It is the little voice inside that reminds me that I am not good enough. It affects so much of our lives. It makes me think of my favorite poem that I teach every year in my English class, "Our Deepest Fear". Not just because it is so well written, but rather the message in that poem is so powerful and applicable to my life and the lives of the people around me. It talks about how fear keeps us from trying our best and putting ourselves out there. But when we do, it is contagious. The people around will try to emulate the positive example you are setting.



Is this an easy thing to? Absolutely NOT! For me, this little voice in my head is sometimes debilitating. It tells me that I can't, that I am too fat...too slow...not good enough. The sad part is recognizing that it is a lie can be very challenging...even when I know it...something inside just won't let go.

I fought with this tonight. I haven't been to to my home crossfit gym in while, and I was really excited about going today. However, when I pulled in the parking lot, I had this crazy fear come over me and that little voice whispering 'you can't do this...you are too fat...too slow' 'you are just going to embarrass yourself'. I mean even though that is not the case and the coaches have such faith in me...I couldn't hear past that voice. I fought through it though...I am stronger than I give myself credit. I would encourage you to make an effort to look in the mirror each morning and recognize the beauty you have on the inside and on the outside. Silence that little voice and believe that your great!

Today's Food Log:
Breakfast: Protein Shake and 1\2c Oatmeal
Snack: 7 Fresh Baby Carrots
Lunch: 3.5oz chicken breast, steamed veggies, 1\3 sweet potato, an apple
Snack: Fresh Cauliflower
Dinner: Sauteed Shrimp, squash, red bell pepper, asparagus (portion size here was way too big, I waited too long and was starving)

Workout Log:
4 rounds
:15 plank hold
:15 air squats
:15 mountain climbers
:15 jumping squats
(yikes)

1RM Front Squat
5@45#, 5@135#, 3@155#, 2@175#, 1@195#, 1@215#, failed @225# ----so sad last max was 250#

Partner WOD----my half
300m farmer carry 30#
25 box jumps (20")
20 squat cleans (95#)
100 Double Unders

No comments:

Post a Comment